Best Time to Travel - Special Interest
* Three species of whales visit various points along South Africa's coast between June and October to breed and calve in natural bays, providing for some of the best shore-based whale watching in the world.
* For birders, the summer months (November through March), when the region's many migrants return to breed, are most productive.
* Rare Leatherback Turtles, the largest species of turtle in the world, visit the north-east coast of South Africa to lay eggs between November and March.
* Great white shark viewing along the south western cape coast is best from May through September
* The unique flowering of the desert fynbos in Namaqualand and the Cederberg Mountains takes place after the meagre annual rains, typically during August and September.
| | Share