Recipe of the Quarter: South African Roly-Poly Baked Dessert
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 13 x 9 inch pyrex dish.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and butter in food processor.
4. Add the beaten eggs, and then just enough milk, tablespoon by tablespoon, to make a firm dough.
5. Roll the dough out quite thinly -- on a surface sprinkled with flour -- and form a rectangle.
6. Spread the dough with apricot jam.
7. Beginning at one of the long sides, roll the dough up like a swiss roll. Cut this roll into 1 inch slices, using a serrated knife.
8. Pack the slices, cut sides up, closely together in the greased dish. Add the jam that escaped the dough to the top of the rolls.
9. In a pot, mix boiling water, sugar, butter and vanilla and stir until sugar dissolves.
10. With a tablespoon, ladle evenly over the slices. There will be about 3/4 cup left over.
11. Bake for about 40 - 45 minutes.
12. When the rolls are removed from the oven, carefully pour the extra sauce over the center slices.
13. Serve hot, with custard, ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
Singita Lebombo - Touching the Earth Lightly
Let us help you plan your dream safari. call toll-free: 888.227.8311 or today
| | Share